Welcome to the #1 Dodge, Jeep and RAM Forum dedicated to FCA owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the SRT Forum today!

2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat SRT Spare Tire

Member ID
Reactions
City
Tuscaloosa
State
AL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat SRT
I'm not a fan of run flat tires so when the thread got low, I bought 295/45/r20 tires that had a decent speed rating. I wasn't comfortable not having a spare tire so when I upgraded to 22" rims and changed to 305/35/r22 I installed the spare tire winch kit. Here's where it gets wierd. We took off for a trip and the vehicle is much louder, almost an in-and-out whining sound, almost like it's in power mode not economy mode. I first thought maybe the Uconnect problem (notice keeps coming up to take to a dealer) is messing with the drive modes. Of course I looked up this common problem and will have to take it to the dealer, but then I thought this sound might have something to do with not installing heat shields for the exhaust. I am planning on installing heat shields when I return from my trip but thought I would bring this issue up to see if anyone might have an idea on the source of this sound. IMG-8197.jpg IMG-8197.jpg

Bobo

2000 Posts Club
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Fremont
State
OH
Country
United States
Vehicle
2022 Dodge Challenger Super Stock
Removing heat shields would most definitely change and add to the sound in the cabin, it's used every where under a car for heat and sound purposes.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Actually you need MORE heat shields with the spare in place as you don't want the exhaust cooking the tire. D's that come with the factory spare have shielding around the back & sides of the spare which likely also helps with aerodynamics & wind noise.

OP
M
Member ID
Reactions
City
Tuscaloosa
State
AL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2021 Dodge Durango Hellcat SRT
Thread Starter #4
I am trying to find the heat shields but can only find a right side. Thanks for the input. The sound in the cabin definitely changed with the spare.

MikeD1

4000 Posts Club
Founding Member
Premium Account
HFCOTM
Member ID
Reactions
City
Central Florida
State
FL
Country
United States
Vehicle
2016 Challenger Hellcat
HFCOTM
View Images
Might try junk yards, eBay or just order the parts from one of the on-line MOPAR parts places.
You might want to poke around here, there were a few threads from guys that added a spare & what the part #'s needed were:
https://www.dodgedurango.net